Building Bridges Training
Area’s support can be offered
Sandwell Dudley Wolverhampton Central Walsall
0121 559 9197
Where is it?
half day to a regular basis depending on the venue and travel time
Overview of Support offered
We have courses that focus on self-awareness and self-esteem, life skills, well-being and relationship-building, and planning where you want to go/what they want to do in life, such as:
- My future – Thinking about what you are good at and setting personal goals for the
future. This course can include making a personal PowerPoint presentation about you which highlights
your strengths and achievements and future goals
- Community connecting –My how to find out about what’s going on in your area, and get
support to get involved in local activities and groups
- Being an equal citizen –My learning about the elections and voting, your rights and
responsibilities, how to take action and complain etc.
- Look after yourself –My a course about well-being, covering stress awareness and
relaxation. You will learn tips about how to look after yourself, including eat and sleep well, and how
- Shop, cook and eat –My learning about preparing simple healthy meals on a budget.
This is a practical class so needs a kitchen!
- Living on my own – a course about managing your own home. This can cover
budgeting and bills, health and safety, remembering important dates and being organised.
- Travel training –using public transport on your own. This includes working out
timetables, getting travel information from the internet and using apps on your phone. It will also
cover travel safety and budgeting for travel.
- Making friends and keeping them – how to make friends and get on with others. You
will learn what makes a good friend, and how to keep friends, and how to stay away from people who take
advantage of you.
- Managing my Money – about managing household income and saving on costs, including
energy-efficiency savings and planning for repair and replacement of goods.
- Making my money go further – this is a course on how to make savings on energy, food
and other costs so your money can go further and you can have enough money or start to save for the things
you really want!</li
- Personal safety – this will cover staying safe when you are about and about, and how
to keep your personal belongings safe too
We have tailored courses to help build employability skills and even think about starting your own business:
- Getting ready for work – skills for looking for jobs, preparing for interviews, making
job applications, preparing a CV, being interviewed and what to expect when you are employed, getting along
with managers and colleagues etc.
- Train the trainer – a course to enable people to develop presentation and co-training
- Doing research – practical skills to enable you to undertake take part in research
projects about the important issues that affect your life – such as being unemployed, housing issues etc.
- Setting up a social enterprise – all you need to know about setting up a micro or social
enterprise (small business). A micro enterprise is where you sell things you make or offer a service such as
car valeting for extra income, a social enterprise is where you run a business that provides a service for
people in the community and also creates employment. You need to learn about benefits and tax implications.
- Parenting course – we can offer a bespoke course for parents with a learning disability.
It can cover the things you need to learn as a parent, eg listening to children, play activities, understanding
children’s emotional needs etc.
- We have a regular Friday group of women with a learning disability who use the gym at the Portway
Lifestyle Centre in Oldbury. They meet 10am to 12.15
- We can offer short courses in crafts, card making, jewellery and felt making
- We can offer one day classes and short courses in all aspects of cookery such as baking, and learning
new recipes, vegetarian meals etc.
If a volunteer can complete an 8 week placement, Wildside is more than happy to write a reference.
Is this activity linked to;
Increasing confidence Increasing motivation Increasing Optimism Improving employability
Where does this support fit into my journey?
Engagement This is me I’m up for it I’m ready I’m on my way
Minimum No. Maximum No.
what equipment should I bring
Improved confidence and self esteem