Developing you to work in horticulture
Sporting Schools Ltd
Area’s support can be offered
Sandwell Dudley Wolverhampton Central Walsall
where is it?
Contact Graham or George to find out the location
Course runs 6 weeks
Day 1 – 10am – 4pm
It can be run over two days per week, which would then last 3 weeks.
Overview of Support offered
The programme is to help you understand what a healthy diet is, food labels and cooking health meals on a budget.
Unit 1 – Identifying plant and vegetable varieties. Learn how to look them.
Unit 2 – Follow a given maintenance plan to help the garden develop.
Unit 3 – Sow seeds and carry out soil tests. Identify any pests/diseases
Unit 4 – Design your own planting bed.
Unit 5 – ‘Go Experience’ work at our plant nursery.
Is this activity linked to;
Increasing confidence Increasing motivation Increasing Optimism Improving employability
Where does this support fit into my journey?
Engagement This is me I’m up for it I’m ready I’m on my way
Minumum No. 4 Maximum No. 12
what equipment should i bring?
- The course will give you a basic understanding of horticulture. It will also enable you to plan a career pathway for future qualifications and experience. The course will take place at your local hub as well as at our plant nursery.
- You will design flower or vegetable arrangements to go in a raised bed.
- You will also learn how to do companion planting and use your design at our plant nursery.
- Garden centres are increasing in size and the services they offer are helping others to start their own businesses us by designing gardens, giving advice to others on planting.
- You will know how to take soil samples and identify what type of plants work well in it.
- You will also know how to propagate.
- You will also be given equipment to take home and design your own small allotment.
- Gain confidence through discussions, Improve self-esteem.
- Increased knowledge of related industry.
- Improve employability by gaining more industry related qualifications.
- Encourage engagement in learning a subject of interest.