First Step to Construction
Just Straight Talk
Area’s support can be offered
Sandwell Dudley Wolverhampton Central Walsall
01902 256 744
where is it?
Just Straight Talk
The Youth Room
Ebenezer Street (off Birmingham New Road)
A range of other venues can be utilised.
One day per week 10-4pm over 6 weeks.
Overview of Support offered
Basic none accredited Construction Skills and Awareness of the job roles within the Construction Industry for those entering construction for the first time or those who have been out of work for some time.
The programme will cover basic plumbing, basic electrical, tiling and carpentry skills.
This will include health and safety and risk assessments around each activity. You will gain knowledge of using hand and power tools.
You will gain valuable hands on practical experience coupled with employability support into the industry. You will become more equipped and confident in applying for work and registering with job agencies for entry level jobs on site.
You will also be better equipped to deal with small low risk tasks around the house (i.e. changing a plug, fixing a leaky tap) or for family and friends therefore giving you a sense of personal responsibility within the home or community.
The programme will be delivered one full day per week over 6 weeks which will include evaluation and preparation for CSCS tests for those who currently have not passed the test or don’t have the card.
This programme can prepare you to obtain the card and will liaise with Talent Match mentors.
Throughout the programme those who are committed to construction as a career and demonstrate skills will be given Information, Advice and Guidance around local employers and agencies currently recruiting for construction of which First Step Construction (JST) has robust relationships with.
Sessions will be held and be lead by a qualified Level 4 Construction Trainer.
Is this activity linked to;
Increasing confidence Increasing motivation Increasing Optimism Improving employability
Where does this support fit into my journey?
Engagement This is me I’m up for it I’m ready I’m on my way
Minimum No. 6 Maximum No. 8
what Equipment should i bring?
- Practical experience in construction/DIY skills.
- Confidence building activities.
- Increase communication skills.
- Self esteem building.
- Increase overall mental health and well being.
- Building and increasing networks and supports and communicating with people.
- Making new friends.
- Construction Industry Awareness.
- You will be CSCS Test ready.
- Skills acquisition.
- Increase chances of obtaining paid work/further educational opportunities.
- You will receive In house Certification of completion after 6 weeks.
- You can add taster experience to CV and increase chances of employment.
- Feel more confident around the home with DIY jobs and tasks.