Understanding what you need to do to work in animal care
Sporting Schools Ltd
Area’s support can be offered
Sandwell Dudley Wolverhampton Central Walsall
where is it?
Contact Graham or George to find out the location
Course runs 5 weeks
Day 1 – 10am – 4pm
It can be run over two days per week, which would then last 3 weeks.
Overview of Support offered
Unit 1 – Understand the health and well-being of animals when working with
Unit 2 – Provide animals with the necessary opportunity to display natural
behaviour, e.g. appearance, posture and movement, behaviour,
bodily functions, social interaction.
Unit 3 – Feed animals in accordance with instructions.
Unit 4 – Supply water to animals from the correct sources and in the correct
quantities, in accordance with instructions.
Unit 5 – Clean and maintain equipment ready for use and store it safely and
securely in an appropriate place.
Unit 6 – Plan a career pathway into the industry
Unit 7 – Pathways for jobs working with animals
Is this activity linked to;
Increasing confidence Increasing motivation Increasing Optimism Improving employability
Where does this support fit into my journey?
Engagement This is me I’m up for it I’m ready I’m on my way
Minumum No. 4 Maximum No. 12
what equipment should i bring?
- The course will give you a basic understanding of caring for different types of animals.
- It will also enable you to plan a career pathway for future qualifications and experience.
- A very practical course which will help you – Understand the benefits of animal care –Demonstrate correct cleaning and maintenance of animal habitats, ranging from rabbits to horses. This will be done at your hub base initially, then at one of our animal units.
- You will gain confidence through discussions about animals, their welfare, handling, exercising them and their dietary requirements.
- This course will also improve self-esteem.
- Increased knowledge of related industry.
- Improve employability by gaining more industry related qualifications. Encourage engagement in learning a subject of interest.
- Opportunity to progress to a course at the next level in education or work experience.