Breaking Through – English, Maths and ICT
YMCA Black Country Group
Area’s support can be offered
Sandwell Wolverhampton Walsall Central(Bilston/Darlaston) Dudley
where is it?
Temple St Wolverhampton + Small St Walsall + Carters Green Sandwell
Monday Afternoon 1.00-4.00pm – weekly
Overview of Support offered
The offer is an 8 weeks programme per subject as a stepping-stone to build your confidence and ability in Maths, English and ICT. The programme will develop your: functional skills, group work, develop self-guided learning disciplines and social etiquette within a group environment. These elements will lead to enhancing your personal growth, self-esteem and career prospects for the future.
Our programme is designed:
- To overcome your barriers to learning.
- To help change your mind-set around the classroom setting.
- To encourage your new aspirations to engage in learning, using positive affirmations and building on your strengths.
- Focus on your new aim and not old obstacles.
Delivery will be both group and one-to-one sessions, using current and relevant media e.g. YouTube and/or BBC Skills.
Through our supportive and individualised programme, you will:
- Complete an initial assessment to identify your level of entry.
- Use up-date programme to clearly identify your career pathways.
- Specialised support for those with additional learning needs (dyslexia).
- Set realistic goals – identified and owned by yourself (with mentor support).
The ultimate aim is to increase confidence in these subject areas plus:
- A clearer understanding of English, Maths and ICT and their long-term benefits.
- Increased confidence in your ability to communicate at different levels.
- Opening the doors for learning, employment and self-development.
- Developing coping strategies to enable you to build on what they have learnt. (E.g. it’s generally OK to use a dictionary if your spelling is not too good or use spellcheck on the computer or calculators).
Opportunities for progression include:
- College course, NVQ, Apprenticeships and Employment.
The TM mentor will complete an individual pre and post Outcome Star (Work or Youth) demonstrating your distance travelled and the next milestone of your journey.
Is this activity linked to;
Increasing confidence Increasing motivation Increasing Optimism Improving employability
Where does this support fit into my journey?
Engagement This is me I’m up for it I’m ready I’m on my way
Minimum No. 4 Maximum No. 12
what equipment should i bring?
- Positive learning experience, which will lead to further learning opportunities.
- Increase of self-worth and a more ‘can do’ attitude.
- Tools and skills to move forward in your Talent Match journey.
- Removing the internal voices of doubt e.g. ‘I’m thick’, ‘I can’t do it!’ ‘Whatever! – it’s not for me’.
- Clear goals that are achievable – short, medium or long term.
Another expected outcome will be the progression onto either a more formal programme or any of the other PSN opportunities available via Talent Match.